Monday, September 13, 2010

"you alone are enough to face the sunrise..."


experience is the greatest teacher...wow, how i know the truth in that statement. i think of the ebb and flow of this summer, of the past year of my life. all i've been through and who i've become as a result. had i not experienced the pain, frustration, uncertainty and doubts which have landed at my feet over these past 12 months of my life, i wouldn't be who i am today. and i like who i am today. i like the stronger, more certain me that i've become. i like the heights i'm reaching for and knowing that they're attainable, reminding myself that i'm stronger at carving out new paths because of the uncharted ones i've traveled these past months of my life.

years ago i worked diligently on a cross stitch sampler. worked on the project for a year. stitched into the design were the words, "each dawn is a new beginning." i framed the finished sampler and gave it to my parents for christmas that year. that piece has come to mean so much. to them. to me. the sampler sits in my basement now, awaiting a spot on the wall of my mom's new apartment. i happened by it as we were moving her in last weekend.

"each dawn is a new beginning." the words reminding me that change is inevitable. that dark nights bring bright dawns ~ sunrise and the promise of a new day. a fresh start. and like making it through an unsettling dream on a stormy night, we gain strength and clarity with the light of a new day.

the dawns of the last 365 days of my life have, with each 24 hour period, made me stronger and more sure of who i am and the decisions i've made. i don't doubt them. and i don't doubt me. i no longer doubt my strength or my ability to make it through tough times. those times are going to come again, that much i know is true. but i also know what's to be gained by muddling through adversity. with a wing and a prayer we make it through. into the light of a better day.

wishing you the sunrise,
all the day through...
-t.

2 comments:

  1. Love it Terri, I could get lost here in your blog if I had endless amounts of time. Guess I'll just have to check in from day to day. The great thing is, I know the author is just a phone call away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just like Anne said...I too got lost in your post my new friend. :)
    Thanks for the wonderful and kind words you left on my blog. It's so hard for me to speak some things, emotional or painful things don't come easy so I write them. When it comes to actually saying them-It's almost like my inner core keeps those words trapped as if to protect me from the pain I'll endure if I actually hear myself say them. So I write.
    I'm not going to offer my condolences on your year but only to say "It's ok" and that this day is gone in a few hours and tomorrow is a new one.
    I want to tell you that you have a friend and even though chances are we will never meet, I am happy that you've come through a tough and maybe sad time.
    I want to encourage you to keep blogging and take the time to shed a tear or two if need be.
    I want you get down on the ground and wrestle with your grands because you're cool like that.
    But most of all I want you to know that with the year that you've had, you're a hero to many and the fact that you're honest about it makes you one of mine. Blessings :)

    ReplyDelete