Wednesday, March 3, 2010

17 days...


I don't know what the heck happened last night when I was trying to post. Somehow my "18 days" ended up underneath "19 days." I'm not blaming blogger, as I'm fully aware that when technical difficulties arise the cause is typically operator error. So after tuning in to "17 days" take a look at "18 days" located under "19 days." HA!

Woke up with a smile on my face and a song in my heart today. No real reason in particular - just feeling mighty blessed and grateful. I've heard it said that if the only prayer you ever said in life was thank you, then that would certainly suffice. I woke up in the spirit of gratitude which is a fine good morning. That phrase has continued as my mantra all this sunny day long.

Mighty pleased with myself today...my goal at the gym this morning was to run for 20 minutes followed by a walk and a climb on the treadmill for a combined total of 40 minutes of cardio. I haven't included running in my workouts for months, so I was really talking myself into doing this today. I surprised myself though...after 20 minutes I just kept going 'cuz it felt so damn good. Exceeded my goal by running more than the equivalent of a 5K, which I haven't done for nearly a year.

40 minutes and 3 and a half miles later I was at the invisible finish line, feeling like I'd run for the gold. When I push myself like that my body reacts and my emotions just let go. Tears come and I can't stop them. I love that! On the drive home I could feel the adrenalin rush...warm and calming having an unmistakable physical effect on me. This is my drug, giving my body what it needs to sustain me, keeping me in good health.

I wish everyone knew the fantastic effects physical exercise (the kind that makes you break a good sweat) has on the mind and the body. When it comes to weight loss, looking and feeling good, I often hear the phrase "I wish there was a silver bullet, a key, an easy way." There is. It lies inside you. It's your ability to move. You just have to do it, religiously, and when you come to the point where you have an experience like I did today you won't ever want to go without it.

There's a part of me that goes missing when I put off my workouts, and the only way I can find it is by tying on those gym shoes and stepping out. This morning I moved. Moved more than I'd thought I would, much to my surprise. iPod blasting songs like shorty got low, what have you done today to make yourself proud, are we humans or are we dancers, the disco version of Pachabel's Cannon in D...damn that sure felt good.


feeling good, hope you are too...

-t.

1 comment: